Engagement session season has begun and I am so excited for it! I cannot wait to have a few hours to get to know my clients a bit better and capture some beautiful + romantic images of them.
Engagement sessions are an absolutely incredible way to spend some time connecting with your soon-to-be spouse, and to get to know your photographer. I always book my engagement sessions for a few hours before sunset so that we have time to do photos in a few locations, have an outfit change, and get those dreamy golden hour images. And once we have the date and location narrowed down, is when I begin to get lots of questions about what outfits work best for a session.
I have a few tips that I like to share with my clients.
Here are my TOP TEN TIPS for a great engagement session!
1. Co-ordinate your outfits so that you compliment each other, but don’t be too matching.
2. I suggest two outfits. One that is relaxed + casual, and another that is more formal + dressy.
3. Make sure you are equal in how formal you are dressed and that it suits the location.
4. Choose from a light + airy colour palette. Soft whites, creams, pastels and earthtones look great in photos and are super romantic.
5. Add layers! A scarf, jewellery, kimono, sunhat, floral head crown, these are all little things that can show off your personal style and give you something to play with during your photoshoot.
6. Your hands and feet will be photographed! Shoes and nailpolish are little details, but they are important too.
7. I always suggest to get hair and make-up done. A soft, every day look is best for engagement images, and wearing your hair down, or loose around your face is best.
8. Consider a dress that is long and flowy for super romantic images. A flowing dress, sunset and the wind… ahhhhh.
9. Big patterns are always best. Large flowers, big print plaid, and large stripes photograph well. Small patterns can cause something called Chromatic Abberation in your images.
10. Final tip… and probably the most importnat one. Dress for your body type! We all have little things we love about ourselves and things we don’t. If you love your legs, show them off! If you are self-conscious of your upper arms, a strapless dress probably won’t give you the images you are dreaming of. If you feel good, you will look good!